Shit! – What’s the matter with you?
– I’m sorry. – Where do you think you’re going?
– I was going to catch that thief. What have we got here? Where did this hick come from? Get lost, idiot! Where have you been? How many turns have you worked today? Hardly enough. Cost of rice is up,
wages are down, a real bind. Hey, young man. Where’re you from?
You don’t look like you belong with folks like us. Hmm. I came up from the country a few days ago I was robbed on the day I arrived. They rob you blind in this world. – Who are you looking for?
– My brother. He came up to Seoul a few months ago
to buy some goods but he never returned, so I’m here looking for him. I searched all the likely places but I couldn’t find him. Is that so? Why don’t you go to the police? – That’ll cost him.
– We live in a world of confusion Hey! – I’ll see you tonight!
– Huh Huh – Bye!
– Bye! Bye Sonya. How’d it go? – How did what go?
– The thing tonight. Hmm It went well. – What are you doing?
– You don’t have to be so cold. Get out and go send the word. Hey Round up the guys. – He told us to gather up.
– Okay Where’s Singsing? Do we have everyone? Yeongsik’s not here. I sent someone to look for him. Is that right? Gather round. Have you seen Yeongsik? Don’t be late, or there will be big trouble. But don’t go into just any old warehouse
like the last time. Here he is. – I can’t find him.
– Yeah? I’ll tell Yeongsik later. You’re napping now? Is he gone? – Did you have fun?
– Are you jealous? You tease. You’re crazy! You’re mine. You’re all I’ve got. Do you understand? What about your brother?
The one in the army? I can’t show my face before him again. You’re all I need. Really? I’m planning something big right now, Sonya. If this works out, I’ll make a lot of money. – So please give up this life.
– Really? You’ve been bringing me crappy stuff lately. – You don’t want it?
– I don’t know… – This stuff isn’t doing so well these days
– Just give me whatever it’s going for. Looks good… You’ll meet him. Are you sure? I’m always right. – When will I see him?
– Well… The fact is, you will meet him again. But unfortunately, you’ll have to part ways again soon. So when will I see him? Mister! Shine your shoes! Brother, is it you? Good heavens, what is the matter with you? – I’m… I’m so sorry.
– Pay for all this tofu! I’m so sorry. – Brother!
– Huh? – Brother, it’s you, isn’t it?
– Dongsik! I thought I’d never find you again! I was worried you had
an accident or something. What happened? Mother’s worried sick. What are you doing here?
Did you get out of the army? Yes, it’s been about two weeks. – Honey!
– Yes? So this is the brother
you’ve been talking about day and night. You’re not going to introduce us? Oh, I forgot. Say hello. Yes. – Hi… I’m Dongsik.
– I see. You don’t look anything like your brother. Don’t you think so, honey? – Yeongsik
– Hmm? – You’re brother’s so fine.
– Is that so? Why, you don’t agree? – Sonya!
– Hey. Where are you off to? Going for a swim. Want to come along? Dongsik. Brother. Let’s return home. Sit down. We discussed this last night.
You still don’t get it? We have to go home soon.
Think about our mother. I told you to go on home tonight. – I’ll be home in a few days.
– I’m not leaving without you. I don’t get Sonya. She has money and a nice man. Why does she keep living like that? All men are dogs. Still, how much longer
is she going to take the Yankees? You gotta be with your own kind. Stop daydreaming and focus on
making as much as you can. Americans, Koreans- – they’re all the same. Money is all that matters.
Money’s the best. What are we going to do with all that money? We can’t marry an American
or one of our own. Which group do we belong to? Which group?
We’re the Yankee Whores. I don’t want to drag you into this life. If I shouldn’t be here, you shouldn’t be here. What do you have going for you here? I thought about it all night.
I couldn’t figure it out. – It doesn’t matter. Just go home!
– No. I am not going anywhere without you. – I can’t leave now!
– Why not? Brother! – What is it?
– Stop bothering me and go! – Honey?
– Yes? What are you waiting for?
Let’s go. Come with us, Dongsik. – I’ll pass.
– Let’s go, Sonya. Dongsik, are you leaving on the evening bus? Dongsik. What do you think of me? What do you mean? – Our way of life.
– I don’t know anything about anything. I suppose. Why would you even care about us Yankee Whores. – Sonya!
– Yes? – Marry me. We’ll move to the country.
– Marry you? Let’s go live with my mother
like other couples do. I can’t live in the country. Then we’ll go somewhere else.
Leave this place and settle down somewhere. The world isn’t always going to be
so out of control. All the more reason
to make as much as we can now. It’s just money. I’ll do anything to keep you from hardship. By the way, I think your brother’s handsome. Much better than me, I know. Anyway, what do you say?
Will you come to the country with me? – Stop it. I have a headache.
– Come on. What do you say? Good god… What are you looking at? – What is it?
– Nothing. It’s a picture! Can I see it? It’s a picture of you and your brother. Is this your mother? Yes. If it hadn’t been for the Korean War,
my parents would have cared for me And I would have married as well as anyone. – What happened to your parents?
– They died in the war. It’s all in the past now. This is my life now. Free as the wind. It’s never too late to give up this life. Settle down with a good man. – Who would marry me?
– Why wouldn’t someone marry you? You’re smart and kind.
You’ll find someone nice. Dongsik, would you marry me? See? Even people like you don’t want me. Julie! What are you doing here?
They’ve all gone inside. Dongsik. Take this and go on home. What’s the matter? Take it and go. I’d rather die than leave without you. – Sonya, wait for me!
– Hurry up! Where’s Yeongsik? Go get Yeongsik. Quickly! Why aren’t you going? I’m sick. I never dreamed you’d end up like this. Don’t worry about me and work on making
something great out of yourself. Stop it! This isn’t about me! Dongsik. Why are you being so stubborn? Brother! Take this. Brother! Come in! Oh hey. It’s you. Come in. Sit down. – Sit here.
– No, I’m all right. – Are you going out?
– There’s always parties. It’s fine. I’m sorry to bother you. What brings you here? I’m leaving soon. It’s okay. Take it. I have something to discuss with you. – What is it?
– Well… – Here.
– Thank you. It’s a little warm. Excuse me. What do you want to talk about? I wanted to ask you
to stop seeing my brother. Oh, that. Please let him go home. I think you should talk to
your brother about this, not me. Please, talk to him. I don’t have him on a leash or anything. Have some beer. Hello, beautiful!
Where are you going? Who is it? Hey. Let’s try this. Like this. Doesn’t this solve everything? I have to go. You’re such a little boy. Come on. Stay and have some fun. Let go of me. You don’t have to be this way. Here. Hold me tight. What’s wrong? – Have you seen my brother?
– No. Hey. What? – Have you seen my brother?
– Not this morning, no. Julie. – Julie?
– Yes? – Will you get me my black bag?
– Sure. – Where are you off to?
– I’m meeting my lover. Let’s go, shall we? Hey. – Have you seen my brother?
– No. Maybe he went back to the country. Where are you going? Did you have a good time? Come here. Do you know why Sonya didn’t make it last night? I don’t know. Why? – She was getting it on with Yeongsik’s brother
– No, impossible. Impossible? I saw it with my own eyes. She couldn’t have gone through with it.
He’s her brother- in- law. Brother- in- law my foot. Sonya doesn’t care about that stuff. If you don’t believe me,
I’ll tell you exactly what I saw last night. Have you seen Brother? – Follow Sonya.
– Sonya? Follow that car. Quickly! Get in the car! – What should I do?
– Follow them. So refreshing, isn’t it? What’s that? Shall we try over there? Your hair smells like ripe corn, Dongsik. Are you making fun of me? A country bumpkin? No, not at all. You smell so fresh. I like it. What does that mean? Dongsik. Brother! Honey! – Honey.
– Out of my way. Honey, please. You bitch. Wake up. Dongsik. Thank you. See you again. Stop it. I’m so tired. Huh? – You…
– What’s the matter with you? What are you doing, Yeongsik? What? You bastard! Yeongsik, stop! It’s a bit early for a fight? Get back inside! Go! – Calm down!
– Let go! Dongsik! Julie, how did you know I was here? This is from Sonya. I’m a disgrace. Dongsik. You don’t belong here. Go back to the country as soon as you can. I’m thinking about going home tonight. Dongsik. Do you think a girl like me
could live in the country? I don’t know. I don’t know if someone like Julie could live there. Sonya. Leave my brother alone. He’s my only sibling. What are you suggesting
I’ve done to him? He’s so innocent.
He knows nothing of this world. So please leave him alone. Are you jealous of your brother? Sonya. Please, stop. The plan will work this time. We’ll go some place far away together, okay? I’ll do anything for you. – Brother, let’s take a dip.
– No, the water’s too deep! Dongsik! Dongsik, no! Brother! Dongsik, wake up! Hello! – What’s on your mind?
– Nothing. Make my brother happy. I don’t know about your brother,
but I can make you happy. I’m going down to the country
to take care of Mother on his behalf And atone for my sins. Is everyone all set? It’s different from what we’ve been doing,
so it’s risky but there shouldn’t be any problems
as long as we communicate well And if this works out, we’ll all make a bundle out of this. Is the truck ready? Good. Be sure to fit in a good nap during the day. – Brother?
– Yes. The numbers aren’t good these days. That’s going to change today. I think the boss is a little nuts these days. He’s got Sonya troubles. The truck is here. I’ll be back. I’ll make it this time. Wait for me. Don’t go anywhere. – Okay.
– Wait. What are you doing here? Where are they going? It looks like tonight’s job will be dangerous. Why, are you worried? You’re a good brother. I deserve to die. I’m less than human. Why cry over spilt milk? Anyway, I have a question for you. – Will you answer?
– Stop it. Stop torturing me, please. I love you. I need you with me. You’re the only one who can
save me from all this. Sonya. There are a lot of great guys out there. Dongsik. Run away with me. I want to live like a human being
among other people. Can Sonya learn to take life seriously? Of course. Let’s go to Hong Kong
or some place else far away. Hang on a sec. I’ll be right back. Yes, I’m telling you. It’s been about two hours.
Yes. No mistake. I guarantee it. Where have you been? I took care of business for us. Business? Why are you being so nosy?
I made a phone call. A phone call? I told the police about the job tonight. The police? Why? What do you mean, why?
It’s for our future. – What?
– You silly man. We can’t have other people
getting in the way of our future. What? You can’t do that. How could you do something so low?
Call them again and say you were mistaken. Now! It’s too late now. They’ve already gone after them. No! Dongsik! Dongsik! Okay. Check the train when it arrives
and report back on any unusal activity. Dongsik! Stop! Wait! Please. Quickly! Hurry! I’ll pay you anything. Brother! Brother! Dongsik! Brother! Wait here. Dongsik! Are you out of your mind?
What are you doing here? Let’s run away. Hurry! We have no time to lose. Hurry! Dongsik! Dongsik! Wait for me! Dongsik! Dongsik! Dongsik! Dongsik! Dongsik, wait! Dongsik! Honey. Honey! Honey, I’ve done nothing wrong. Help! Somebody! Help! Dongsik! Honey, honey, please…
Forgive me just this once. I’ll be true to you from now on. I’ll do anything you say. Anything at all. Honey! Honey. I’m your beloved wife, aren’t I? Forgive me just this once.
Help! I don’t want to die! Brother, it’s me. It’s Dongsik. Wake up! Dongsik. Forgive your foolish brother. No, It’s my fault. Brother! Brother! No, Dongsik.
Do yourself proud. And take care of our mother. Brother! Dongsik! This is for the road. And I’ve been secretly keeping this. Julie. Do you want to go to the country with me? – What? Are you sure?
– Yes. Produced by Seoul Films Co.,ltd
Shin Sang Ok Production Korean Film Archive presents
Korean captions and English subtitles are sponsored by Google
Subtitles by Free Film Communications